MTM Certification Requirements | BCMTMS Exam | Board Certification Medication Therapy Management
How to Get BCMTMS Certification
A Board Certified Medication Therapy Management Specialist (BCMTMS) certification is a board specialty for pharmacists. This voluntary certification is granted by the National Board of Medication Therapy Management (NBMTM) to pharmacists providing medication therapy management services (MTM). A candidate must pass a certification examination in order to become board certified.
Meeting Eligibility Requirements
Complete the requisite pharmacy education.You must hold a pharmacy degree from a school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or the Canadian Council For Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs.You must be a pharmacy graduate to be eligible as the certificate is not multidisciplinary.
Meet licensure requirements.You must pass the state board exam and maintain a valid, unexpired, and unrestricted pharmacist license.
- You need to be licensed in at least one state, commonwealth, territory, possession of the United States or province of Canada.
- You must maintain your license active during the certification process.
- A foreign license may be accepted upon board's approval.
Complete two years of MTM experience.You must complete two years of practice experience, post-licensure, with experience in medication therapy in retail pharmacy, community pharmacy, or ambulatory care pharmacy.
- Practice experience in inpatient hospital pharmacy, long-term care pharmacy, infusion pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy, or any other pharmacy specialty that does not involve direct patient care will not be eligible.
- You must have 2 years of experience prior to applying for the certification.
- Pharmacy experience can be waived with an MTM training, pharmacy residency in MTM, or master's degree in MTM.
Preparing for the Exam
Take an MTM training course.The course will train you how to adequately perform comprehensive medication reviews and prepare for the exam.There are several courses to prepare for the exam, such as the following:
- Power-Pak Certificate Program in Medication Therapy Management.
- APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Training Program.
Review the BCMTMS exam content outline.You must demonstrate adequate performance in four domains:
- Defining Medication Therapy Management and Translating Medication Therapy Management into Practice
- Medication Therapy Management Pharmacotherapy
- Patient Care Advocacy in Medication Therapy Management
- MTM Documentation and Billing
Applying for Certification
Complete and submit your online application.You must apply through the NBMTM’s online portal.
- The board can only accept online applications.
- Your application will be valid for a period of one year.
- You must meet all the eligibility requirements prior to applying.
Sign in to your account and upload your supporting documents.The required documents are the following.
- Your pharmacy diploma.
- Your pharmacist license.
- Your certificate of completion of training.
- Your employment certification.
Pay the application fee.During the application process, you have to make payment of 0 for the application fee. The application will remain valid for a period of one year from the application date.
Passing the Examination
Schedule the exam appointment.You will be able to schedule your exam appointment once your application has been approved. You must sign in to your portal to schedule.
- An authorization to test letter will be mailed to you for detailed instructions.
- The exam must be scheduled a minimum of 7 days in advance of the appointment date.
Bring a valid government-issued photo ID.The name on your photo ID must match the name on your NBMTM account.
- The examination begins with a brief tutorial and ends with a brief survey.
- Extra time is allotted to complete the tutorial and survey.
Start the exam.The exam consists of a maximum of 200 questions and takes approximately 4 hours to complete (including breaks). There are 175 scored questions, plus 25 experimental questions.
Retake it if needed.If you do not pass the exam, you can retake it.
- You may apply to retake an exam during your board eligibility period (1 year).
- If you wish to retake the exam after a year, you must submit an entirely new application for board certification.
- There is no limit to the number of times you can retake the exam during your eligibility period.
Receive your score report notification.If you pass the exam, you will become board certified and you will receive a certificate within 4 weeks.
Renew your certification every 5 years.Renew your certification every 5 years by paying a 0 renewal fee, and by completing fifty hours of recertification credit units in order to maintain certification.
Video: Why MTM Certification Matters | BCMTMS | National Board of Medication Therapy Management (NBMTM)
BANK Fashion Discount Codes 2019
The Right Way To Clean Your Belly Button
5 Juicy Questions for Tim McGraw
Solanges gown featured one of the most elaborate structural designs of the night
Australians demand free portraits of Queen after discovering little-known law
Build Crime-Fighting Pecs With Tom Hardy’s Press-Up Complex
How to Shop the Biggest Spring 2019 Trends
Jena Malone Short Hairstyle
I Committed To 12 Weeks Of Workouts—And It Totally Transformed My Body’
Women More Likely to Get Kidney Disease, Less Likely to Get Dialysis
Start Smart: Beginning an Exercise Program
How to Look Awesome for School
How to Recognize Symptoms of a Postpartum Hemorrhage