What Too Much Exercise Does To Your Body And Brain
Does This Hurt? — The Need-to-Know
For many, the fun of working out comes with reaching our goals at a steady place, be it for a championship team or personal best in the weight room. Sometimes, though, we can actually push our bodiestoohard, resulting in a state of and decreased performance known as overtraining. And though very intense exercise might increase the likelihood of pushing things a bit too far, athletes of all shapes, sizes, and sports — from to weightlifters — are susceptible.A lack of progress is often a first sign of overtraining, signaling it's probably time to make some adjustments to allow for (and maybe take a good mental break, too)Diagnosis of Overtraining- What tools do we have? Urhausen A, Kindermann W. Institute of Sports and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Clinical Medicine, University of Saarland, Saarbruecken, Germany. Sports Medicine; 2002;32(2):95-102.. But the symptoms of overtraining include a variety of other aches, pains, and seemingly every other annoyance in between:
A Reason to Rest — Your Action Plan
Training breaks the body down, and lets it build back up stronger and faster than before. That meansdays off are often just as important as days on, and making sure a routine allows for R & R is key to making progress. Here are some other tips that will help anyone steer clear of overtrainingOvertraining Syndrome: A guide to diagnosis, treatment and prevention. Hawley CJ, Schoene RB. Sports Medicine Clinic of the University Health Services, University of Texas, Austin, TX. The Physician and Sports Medicine; 2003 Jun;31(6):25-31.Training and overtraining: an overview and experimental results in endurance sports. Lehmann MJ, Lormes W, Optiz-Gree A, Steinracker JM, Netzer N, Foster C, Gastmann U. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness; Department of Sports Medicine, University Medical Hospital Ulm;1997 Mar;37(1):7-17.:
- Mix It Up. Doing the same thing over and over again can be stressful on the body and mind. A little variety helps keep things fresh, and if done correctly can even help us reach our original goals.
- Increase Intensity Carefully. If a runner can only run a mile today, chances are they won't be conquering a marathon tomorrow. Plan on making small steps every day toward those goals, one pound or meter at a timeFundamentals of Resistance Training: Progression and Exercise Prescription. Kraemer WJ, Ratamess NA. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, USA; 2004 Apr;36(4):674-88.
- Fuel Up Wisely. Machines don't run well without the right type of fuel. Make sure match up with the type of exercise and goals.
- Catch Plenty of Sleep. We all need our , and so do tired muscles. Plan on getting at least eight hours of sleep a night for optimum recovery.
- Chill Out. Everyday stress can affect our performance in the gym, so grab a and to feel more refreshed.
Already overtrained?Consider taking some additional time off.While the right amount of rest will vary depending on the individual, but a week or two will likely give the body time to recharge to return faster, stronger, and better rested than ever beforeOvertraining in endurance athletes: a brief review. Lehmann M, Foster C, Keul J. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. University Medical Hospital, Department of Sport and Performance Medicine, Freiburg, Germany. 1993 Jul;25(7):854-62..
Video: What Happens If You Exercise Too Much?
How does Coffee Stain Teeth
10 Things Women Who Get Cheated On Have in Common
Best things to do before taking bath for a baby
How to Start a Conversation with New Friends
Khloe Kardashian Debuts Good American x VFILES Collab Pop-up Store
Slack founder Stewart Butterfield: office work is 70 wasted output
9 Exercises Youre Doing Wrong
How to Say Where Is the Bathroom in Several Different Languages
Daily Deals: Extra 10 Off at Reiss, Free Shipping at Anthropologie
4 Surprising Foods That Can Gluten You
Kim Kardashian and Kanye Wests third baby due in January
5 Moves For A Toned And Trim Waist
Secret Beauty Ingredient:Beeswax
How to Quit Your Job in a Bad Economy
A book lover tote bag